2013年5月7日火曜日

Pilgrim's Fairy Tales


     

                                                      (image source: http://www.groundzeromedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Pilgrim-myth.jpg)
     


     As some students have already mentioned, I have always recognized the confidence of Americans compared to people from other nations. I have never thought of it as a particularly bad thing, but I believe now that it could be potentially dangerous as it could lead to the bashing of other countries. I found it interesting that Loewen states that this kind of confidence comes from the faulty history education. For example, Lowen states, "Today Americans believe as part of our political understanding of the world that we are the most generous nation on earth in terms of foreign aid, overlooking the fact that the net dollar flow from almost every Third World nation runs toward the United States." [1] Americans also tend to think of themselves as “special” as Loewen also notes: “In their pious treatment of the Pilgrims, history textbooks introduce the archetype of American exceptionalism-the notion that the United States is different from-and better than-all other nations on the planet.” [2]I know from experience that this kind of misconception is common because I also had the same belief. We are brainwashed by the media to believe these kinds of things.

    

      As I am reading this book, I am slowly building an interest in history. This is because it is helping me realize that the way history is taught changes our perspective on how we view other countries, and ultimately how we view ourselves. If most of the statements Loewen made are true, then Americans cannot help but become Eurocentric. Race problems will always exist as long as these concepts remain.

    

     Although it is impossible to write a completely unbiased history textbook, complete lies cannot be told. After reading the chapters about Columbus and the Pilgrims, I have come to realize that not only are the textbooks biased, they are almost fairy tales. I have never thought about the role of history education. Loewen states that “The problem is not so much the estimates as the attitude. Presenting a controversy seems somehow radical. It invites students to come to their own conclusions. Textbook authors don`t let that happen. They see their job as presenting “facts” for children to “learn”, not encouraging them to think for themselves. Such an approach keeps students ignorant of the reasoning, arguments, and weighing of evidence that go into social science.” [3]  Although my interest in history is not so high, I have always had a big interest in education. Debunking how history is taught might lead to some clues and answers to the role of education. According to the statements Loewen makes, it is obvious that history education is not effective in teaching what actually happened in the past. If the role of history education is to brainwash students in a manner that promotes radical nationalism, I think that it could be very dangerous.



[1] James W. Loewen, ‘The Truth About the First Thanksgiving’, in Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong, Reprint (Touchstone, 2007), p. 90.
[2] James W. Loewen, ‘The Truth About the First Thanksgiving’, in Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong, Reprint (Touchstone, 2007), p. 84.
[3] James W. Loewen, ‘The Truth About the First Thanksgiving’, in Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong, Reprint (Touchstone, 2007), p. 80.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿