2013年6月7日金曜日

The Old Man and the Sea lecture

Mr. Paul Wadden gave us an interesting lecture about the Hemingway and the Old Man and the Sea. I had checked some information about the novel so some of the things he talked about were reviews from what I learned by looking it up. I found the approach of looking at the author's background and trying to make connections to his/her life was interesting, because doing so would lead to a much different view of the world of literature.

It was funny of him mentioning how he has friends that are authors, and how he needs to be careful because you never know when you might appear in the next novel. I can imagine how honoring that would be. Anyway, the story had a few points that were surpirising.

The first was that Hemingway showed clues of Christianity throughout the book. I wonder what motivated him to write the book. I am not too familiar with the bible, so I could not relate to the references, but Mr. Wadden explained to us the similarities in the book.

The second was how the story seemed like an old tale like Mr. Wadden mentioned. Santiago seemed to be an impossibly great human as all stories of this sort has. I question why although Hemingway was a realistic writer, this novel was more of a fantasy. What changed his writing style and what made this novel more relavant than others?

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿