2013年6月11日火曜日

The Corporation Chapter 1-3

I think that this book gives strong points on how the corporation is morally harmful. The corporation is a psychopath, according to this book, when compared to human traits of a psychopath. I agree to this, and it was a new way of looking at things. It was very convincing and made me look at it from a new perspective.

On the other hand, people like Koji disagree with this, and say that not all corporations are evil and some strive to do good in society. I haven't done any research on this topic, but I have a bias that corporations only do good for society in order to raise the company`s image. Corporation`s role to increase profit, not to necessarily do good in society. That is why volunteer groups, NPOs, and groups like those exist and have meaning in society. According to the book, there is even a law stating that the corporation's main purpose must be to make profit. This lead to a contradiction, as mentioned in the book, that doing good for society and sacrificing profit for it is immoral. However, maybe there can be a compromise between profit and doing good for society.

I don't think it is meaningful to complain again and again about how horrible and evil corporations are, because that is quite obvious and it doesn't lead to any solutions. The problem is, the corporations own almost everything, so there is no way to fight against this, and no way to get out of this cycle of destruction. Also, the people that are in the corporations are not particulary evil, they are just doing their jobs. Which leads me to think that it is impossible to solve this problem because people would not feel bad at all for the negative effects of their corporations, because they are just doing their job well. The system is the problem, but fixing this problem is impossible. I am looking forward to Koji's presentation as he might offer some creative solutions about this topic.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿