2013年6月16日日曜日

The Corporation 4~6

I honestly think that if you've watched the movie, there is no point in reading the book. The movie illustrates the topics the book covers and it is much easier to understand than the book. Anyway, it was quite obvious for me that corporations work for profit, and not humanitarianism. It is quite obvious that many corporations and celebrities give money to charity just to boost their public image. A friend of mine from the states taught me this concept when he was SEVEN years old. He used to watch the history channel and discovery channel all the time, and he had very intellectual parents, which was probably the reason he always so realistic, telling me on Christmas that Santa didn't exist etc.

I am interested in the fairly new kind of business, social business, which Koji pointed out in his presentation. There is actually another girl who is a friend of mine that is looking to shoot a documentary in Bangladesh about street children, and how there needs to be a way to start these social businesses in these areas. In ICU, there are many students who are aware of what corporations can accomplish to help educate and expand the economy in the less developed countries.

Corporations have so many negative effects on various aspects of our lives, and becoming a part of one seems like the norm especially in Japan but I really do not want to. First off, salarymen in Japan have the terrible quality of life. They work long unproductive hours and their life revolves around work. Stress levels are obviously high and although there are many merits of working in a company, I just think that it does not align with my value system. Secondly, what do salarymen actually do? I'm assuming that you do what your boss tells you to do which diminishes your creativity. Lastly, there are more interesting things one can do other than joining a company. If joining a company can accomplish your goals, then I think that is fine, but just joining one because everyone is joining one seems like a path for boredom in the future. Just my opinion though.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿